Tips to make your move a little easier…
- Gather boxes in all sizes from friends, neighbors, and stores.
- Collect cushioning material such as bubble wrap, Styrofoam pellets, furniture pads, old blankets, plastic bags, tissue paper, newspapers, and small towels to use as padding inside boxes.
- Create a “portable packing kit” with marking pens, a tape measure, packing tape, twine, and scissors. Carry it with you as you pack up items around your home.
- Reinforce the bottom of boxes with extra tape for added strength.
- Label each box with the name of the room in your home where it should be placed.
- Number the boxes and keep a list of which boxes go in which room in your new home.
- Label boxes containing fragile items with large red lettering.
- Place china in plastic bags and stack plates upright on their sides, not flat.
- Pack your TV, stereo, and computer in their original boxes whenever possible.
- Keep boxes to 50 pounds or less.
- Pack heavy items into their own smaller boxes and place lighter items together into larger boxes. (Don’t pack all your books into one box!)
- Don’t move flammable, combustible, corrosive, or explosive items such as paint, gasoline, and ammunition.
- Pack a bag of personal items you’ll need during the move (change of clothes, toiletries, medicine, maps, food, and drinks). Keep it in an easy-to-find place when you pack.